People have been thinking about how to cure varicose veins since ancient times. Great minds in the field of medicine like Hippocrates, Gallen, Avicenna were engaged in the search for ways to treat this disease.
The word "varicose veins" itself is translated from Latin as "swollen". This is due to the fact that varicose veins of the lower extremities are nothing more than a pathology of the vessels in this area of the body, caused by the dysfunction of the intravenous valves, which causes blood stasis and deformation of the veins.
Having encountered symptoms of varicose veins such as a network of capillaries that appeared on the surface of the skin, swelling (especially at night after a busy day), feeling of pain, fullness in the calf area, cramping, bulging cyanotic veins, you need to get in touch with a phlebologist as soon as possible.
If the disease is not yet very advanced, there is probably still no need for surgical intervention and the patient will have to treat varicose veins at home.
Ways to get rid of varicose veins at home
What can be done to cure varicose veins at home? There are a considerable number of methods that involve treating varicose veins at home, and they can be divided into several main subgroups:
- Outdoor products that you can prepare yourself.
- Home remedies to be taken orally.
- water procedures.
In addition, medications can also be included here, but they must be used strictly in accordance with the doctor's recommendations and instructions. It is not recommended to use them on their own!
How can you treat varicose veins on the legs at home with external means? Only a colossal amount of these funds was invented, it can be ointments and compresses and various means for rubbing.
- A very popular way to treat varicose veins at home with horse chestnuts. To prepare, take 1 bottle of vodka, pour 2 tablespoons of ground chestnuts into it. The infusion is prepared for 21 days in a dark place, the container must be shaken daily. Afterwards, the contents of the bottle must be drained through gauze and squeezed. We impregnate a piece of gauze with this agent, tie the sore legs, insulate with a film and a blanket, remove in the morning. The course of treatment is 14 days.
- Another effective and popular home remedy for varicose veins is apple cider vinegar. But compresses cannot be made for a long time, this treatment provides for a duration of 40 minutes.
- And now let's find out how to cure varicose veins at home with celandine. To do this, take half a glass of dry raw materials, pour 1 liter of water, bring to a boil and cool. Then we strain, moisten a piece of gauze with a decoction and wrap the affected area of the leg, warm the compress in the usual way. Now you need to lie down for about an hour in complete peace, after which the compress must be removed. The application course is 7 days, followed by a week break.
- Girls, we treat varicose veins at home with kefir and yogurt wraps. You can simply make a kefir compress or take yogurt, add wormwood leaves and flowers (previously crushed). Do this compress at night for 7 days in a row, alternating with a break of 7 days.
- To prepare a miraculous ointment for varicose veins, we take equal parts of chicory, cuff, meadowsweet, St. John's wort, coltsfoot, boil with 250 ml of water. When the broth has cooled, mix it with the oil. This is an excellent base for compresses, which should also be applied at seven-day intervals.
- For the treatment of varicose veins with improvised home remedies, "ichthyol ointment" is also suitable. You will also need honey, freshly squeezed aloe juice, melted lard. We take only 1 tablespoon, put it on a small fire and stirring, bring to a boil, turn off the gas, cool the ointment.
What else can be used besides external means to defeat varicose veins at home?
Means for oral administration
There are many recipes on how to cure varicose veins at home with the help of medicines, and probably every patient will be able to choose one of them to their liking.
- The aforementioned apple cider vinegar can also be taken orally if you want to speed up the treatment of varicose veins. The treatment method is extremely simple - you need to dilute 20-30 grams of vinegar in 250 ml of water and drink it 2 times a day after meals at regular intervals.
- And here is a honey-based remedy. Take 400 ml of honey, which you need to pour 250 grams of pre-chopped garlic and leave for about a week. You need to take the drug before meals (about half an hour) 1 tbsp until you use it completely.
- Apple infusion. Apples of sour varieties are best, for example. Cut 3-4 fruits into several small pieces, put in a pan, pour boiling water. We insist 3-4 hours, then we mash the apples visibly softened with a crush to the puree state in the water, let it rest for another hour. It is necessary to drink this remedy before meals, adding a little honey for taste.
- The mummy of the curative product will help your legs perfectly. Take 1 tablet, dissolve it in 250 ml of water. You need to drink the drug 2 times a day before meals. This tool is very effective, you will appreciate its positive effect after 3 days of use, as the pain and swelling in the calf problem area will become much less pronounced.
- Nutmeg is also great for varicose veins. Grind 1 glass of walnut kernels, pour 1 bottle of certified vodka, insist for a few weeks. Then strain carefully. It is necessary to take the drug 30 minutes before meals (three times a day), 20 drops, until the infusion is finished.
Many people ask: what to do with varicose veins at home, if there is a desire for sports?
Of course, a heavy load on sore calves should be avoided, but moderate and gentle exercises aimed at strengthening the calf muscles will be a very effective help. Tight calf muscles, supporting unhealthy venous vessels, help normalize blood pressure within the veins, which will save them from further straining and stretching.
Home treatment for varicose veins will drag on for a long time if the patient ignores health-enhancing sports exercises.
Before starting a physical therapy course, you need to remember a few simple rules.
- It is recommended to perform exercises in compression stockings, made especially for the treatment of varicose veins.
- In the process of performing gymnastics, it is necessary to control the pulse and breathing.
- The load should be gradually increased as the body gets used to it.
- You need to combine physical exercises with a special diet based on the exclusion of fatty, salty, spicy, as well as alcohol and strong teas.
Not only will it help normalize the weight, but it will also speed up recovery.
Examples of exercises
So what exercises can you do at home to get rid of varicose veins?
You need to take a small wooden beam about 10 cm high (an unnecessary thick book is also perfect), place it on the floor. Then you must stand on it so that your heels are on the floor. Lift your heels 15 times and rest. If necessary (and desired), all exercises can be repeated.
Take a small ball (a tennis ball works great), place it under your foot, and roll it in various directions. This exercise is also good because it can be combined with other activities.
Lie on the floor after laying the mat. Bending your legs at a right angle, do flexion and extension of the foot joints. After 10 repetitions, take a break releasing tension by rotating your feet clockwise and counterclockwise.
How to treat leg vessels at home using the "bicycle" exercise? This requires a gym mat and an understanding that pulling your back and pelvis off the floor is not recommended!
Without changing positions, lift your legs and straighten them. We perform 90 degree bends with our hands placed under the pelvic area. It is recommended to perform this exercise 10-15 times.
Turn onto your stomach and lift your legs alternately 15-20 centimeters, lightly holding the air. Strong stress should not be allowed, so rest if necessary.
Sit on the floor with your legs stretched out in front of you. We put our hands behind our backs, they will serve as support. Now lift your legs alternately by 30-40 centimeters, holding each one in the air for 10 seconds.
baths and showers
How else can you treat varicose veins at home? Various baths and showers will perfectly strengthen the venous vessels and improve blood circulation.
It can be a well-known contrast bath and alternately pouring cold water on the calves of the legs. You can also clean aching feet with ice chips or prepare a healing foot bath by adding healing herbs. It can be chamomile or coltsfoot, sage and nettle.
Also, do not forget about an excellent opportunity to strengthen not only the veins, but the whole body, with the help of swimming. In summer you can go to the river or lake, as well as to the sea, in cold weather you can visit the swimming pool.
As for drug therapy, for the treatment of varicose veins at home, the doctor may prescribe venotonic drugs.
To prevent the appearance of blood clots, blood-thinning drugs are prescribed. In addition, regular aspirin and aspirin-based medications are an excellent blood thinner.
There are many ways to get rid of varicose veins at home, and each of them can be an excellent treatment aid. However, it is important to remember the presence of individual contraindications to the use of any remedy, and also to discuss the entire household complex of anti-varicose measures with your doctor.
Also, do not forget the dosages and period of treatment, they must fully correspond to the information indicated in the prescription and/or recommended by the doctor.
In addition, compliance with dietary restrictions, rejection of alcohol and tobacco is also a necessary measure in the elimination of varicose veins. Get well soon and feel good!